Playing cards have an interesting history. Through their simplicity these cards have evolved over time. There we have 5 such interesting facts.
1. The first deck - The first ever deck of card created was in China around 13 centuries ago and the deck consisted a total of 32 cards.
2. Bloody and greedy history - Originally the Ace card was stamped with a special mark; in the 18th century the popularity of playing cards skyrocketed making the rulers of Britain at that time recognized this as an opportunity and levied taxes of the sale of cards, this special mark was used to identify if the deck was legal or no. Forging this mark was punishable by death.
3. Real people - The version of playing cards deck used today is the French deck. These cards are literally designed after real historical figures including Charlemagne (King of Hearts), Julius Caesar (King of Diamonds) and Alexander the Great (King of Clubs) and King David from the Holy Bible (King of Spades).
4. War stories -The government of America during the World War II partnered with the United States Playing Card Company and produced these special designed card decks that would peel apart when wet to reveal parts of a secret map to guide American prisoners of war to their freedom.
5. United States Playing Card Company -The largest playing cards manufacturer in the world is the United States Playing Card Company. It is the parent company of many famous brands like Bicycle, Aviator and many others.
Do you know you can customize your own cards?
click here to customize